Safety is our highest priority. Piped gas is safe and convenient for cooking and heating appliances when used but can be extremely dangerous when not maintained properly. Follow these safety tips to keep you and your family safe.
What To Do If You Suspect A Gas Leak
- Turn off the gas meter control valve.
- Open all windows and doors for ventilation.
- Extinguish any cigarettes or flames if any.
- Do not switch on or off any electrical switches.
- Do not try to detect gas leak with a naked flame.
- Do not use any electronic devices such as a cellphone in the vicinity of a gas leak.
- Leave the house if there is still a strong smell of gas (smells similar to rotten eggs)
If there is a leak in the premises, immediately evacuate and call the emergency hotline at 1800-752-1800 to report it.
Engage a Licensed Gas Service Worker (LGSW) to Perform all Piped Gas Service Work
All piped gas appliances are required to be installed by a licensed gas service worker. The licensed gas service worker should issue a Certificate of Fitness that shows your gas appliance has been tested and is safe for use.
- Keep all combustible materials such as newspapers or clothes away from any gas appliance such as your cooker.
- Keep your windows open when cooking. Ensure there is no popping sound from the cooker when using it. Keep your cooker clean and in good working order.
- Never leave the cooker unattended when cooking i.e. Ensure that pots on the cooker do not boil over.
- Always purchase a gas cooker with a SAFETY Mark
- Ensure there is no smell of gas coming from any gas appliance.
- Keep access to the gas meter control valve clear from obstruction.
- Turn off your gas meter control valve when you are not using your gas appliances for a long period of time or if you are going to be away for a long holiday.
When renovating your home, it’s also important that you ensure your gas supply is properly cut off when commencing with the work.
You can do so by turning off all gas using appliances such as gas cookers or gas water heaters and check that the gas meter at the riser is not ticking.